Saturday 16 June 2012

Sweet Treats from a Sweet Lady!

I came down yesterday from putting Little Badger down for and early bedtime (he was really tired) to find out we had had a visitor while I was in his room!



Sweets from the sweet!  Susan of Food Allergy Chronicles had mentioned plans of strawberry picking when I ran into Friday morning. Little did I know I'd be receiving some of the spoils
What you see in the picture above is a jar of regular strawberry jam, a jar of Splenda sweetened jam, and a small strawberry cake! *Update, it's a tea loaf! Either way it was delicious!* And my god is it good. O_o But that's no surprise when it comes from Susan's kitchen!!!

Though I received my lovely gifts on Friday, I didn't get a chance to try them (or at least the cake) until today as I did my own little bit of baking on Friday. 


Behold! My very first French Silk Pie!




I had been craving one of these for the last 3 years. French Silk Pie was my all around favorite any time pie back in my home town.   But seeing as there is no Perkins near buy I couldn't indulge.   So I finally caved and made my own.



I have to admit I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.   The recipe was fairly easy.  One I got off of CafeMom.com

Here it is from the site:
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • 6 ounces semisweet chocolate pieces
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 egg yolks, beaten
  • 3 tablespoons whipping cream
  • 1 baked 9 inch pie shell
  • whipped cream (for serving)
  • chocolate curls (for garnish)

In a heavy 2-quart saucepan, combine the 1 cup whipping cream, chocolate pieces, butter and sugar.

Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, till chocolate is melted.

Remove pan from heat.

Gradually stir about half of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks.

Return egg mixture to saucepan.

Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, till mixture is slightly thickened and almost bubbly-- 3 to 5 minutes.

Remove saucepan from heat.

Stir in whipping cream.

Place saucepan in a bowl of ice water, stir occasionally till mixture stiffens and becomes hard to stir (20 minutes).

Transfer chocolate mixture to a medium mixing bowl.

Beat the cooled chocolate mixture with an electric mixer on Medium to High speed until light and fluffy 2 or 3 minutes.

Spread filling in a baked pastry shell.

Cover and chill pie 4-5 hours.

Serve with whipped cream and a garnish with chocolate curls.


 I look forward to the next one!

Linked Up!

7 comments:

  1. That pie looks terrific! I received your beautiful handmade baby sweater, thank you do much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank! And yay! Good to know it arrived safely!

      Delete
  2. Youre so lucky to have received some of Susans goodies! I think I need to move to your neighborhood!! Lol! The pie looks amazing! I'll have to show it to my daughter... She loves baking & whatnot.. Thanks for daring the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are houses up for sale around here. =D But yes, for more reasons than just her yummy treats, I count myself very lucky for having Susan as a neighbor! :)

    And hope she enjoys the recipe and pie as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy you enjoyed your treats! Just my way of thanking those neighbours for all the little things they do! The Strawberry Freezer Jam made with Splenda didn't quite firm up like I had hoped...makes for a perfect sauce for ice cream though! By the way, the Borage is flowering pretty little blue flowers...love it...thank you! Susan H. @ The Food Allergy Chronicles

    ReplyDelete