Sunday 21 April 2013

It's not a tumah . . . Oh wait, it is.

Sure it's a classic movie line that everybody knows. But when it happens to someone you know, it really loses its comedic value.

A few months ago I got news that a friend of mine had a brain tumor.

Large enough that operation might be the best course of action. A surgery that she could come out of blind. . . or. . . not come out of at all. 

She has a very sweet daughter who is 10 that has autism and sensory processing disorder. 


And a baby boy who will be turning 1 next month.

 


There is a good chance she will miss his birthday as the tumor is growing fast enough to worry the doctors. Fast enough that they may not honor her requests to hold off until after his birthday. And since most of the first months of recovery are spent in a hazy stupor. . .

And there is also the not being able to lift her child for almost a year. . .

She is scared.  She is struggling.

And I felt helpless in being able to do anything for her. So when I found out that the Brain Tumor Foundation of Canada had a 5k coming up I jumped on the chance. I register as running in her honor. My very first full 5k since I started running back January.  So at least I feel like I'm doing something. I'm hoping that running for her will help bring her a little moral support. To show her she's not alone. And any donations I can raise as sponsors to my running will go to help out others down the road with research and support.
 
And it turns out they are more common than most realize. As a friend of mine knew two other people who's lives had been changed by a brain tumor, she decided to join me and we created the team "Running for Love".  A friend of her's joined us as well.

So, if you have ever known anyone, friend or family or even yourself, who has had their lives turned upside down by a brain tumor and would like to sponsor our run you can donate on my page here:   Joanna Running for Jen

or to the whole team here: Team Running For Love

The 5k takes place in Toronto on April 27th. 


If you feel up to it feel free to share your story in the comments. Or any prayers or thoughts that I can share with Jen to let her know she's not alone.



3 comments:

  1. I would have loved to join you on this run, unfortunately, I will not be available that day. I would love to sponsor you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please tell Jen to stay strong and positive. I have put her in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete